EMBRACE YOUR JOURNEY
Independent School Admissions
We help each student and their family organize a strategic and customized plan. Then we help them execute it. We know clarity brings confidence, confidence inspires moxie, and moxie builds momentum. There’s a lot to think about, but we’ll break it down for you. Moxie College Counseling offers an all-inclusive array of consulting services for independent school admissions:
Careful planning is paramount to whichever school or schools you decide to apply to. We ask all the right questions to make sure you have a detailed plan and apply to the school that best fits your child’s needs.
Independent schools endeavor to understand the identity and background of every student as much as they work to understand their academic profile. Consequently, the admissions process should be a particularly introspective experience. We cultivate self-reflection so that each student becomes aware of and can articulate their own story.
Using values assessments, skills inventory, writing exercises, and more, we help students establish a concrete understanding of who they are and who they aim to be. We inspire students to think deliberately about their identity, values, and goals and to develop new insights about themselves.
There are a number of factors to consider when selecting middle school and high school courses. Together, we review the full scope of options to understand the different academic pathways that best position our students.
- It’s not about how many activities a student is involved in. It’s about which ones and why. We help students understand the genuine meaning behind how they spend time outside of class.
- We show students how to identify their areas of interest and to find ways to explore them.
- We also help students plan summers to make the most of them and to take advantage of opportunities not easily available during the school year.
- Testing strategies vary from school to school. We help students understand how to navigate various testing policies, which are ever-changing.
- We begin by determining which, if any, tests are right for each student. Moxie then connects families with excellent test prep services based on individual strengths and areas needing improvement.
- We then develop a standardized testing plan that works with the student’s schedule and sets them up for the best outcomes, including whether to apply test-optional.
- We educate families about the various school options that are out there – and there are a lot!
- Based on the student’s interests and credentials, Moxie develops an initial list, which serves as a springboard for students and parents to use to explore options.
Together, we examine how to signal a student’s likelihood to enroll in ways schools value most, and we help students understand the institutional goals of the schools they are most interested in.
- At Moxie, we know that every student has a compelling story that’s worth writing about. We teach students how to select compelling topics and harness their authentic voice to make an effective impression through their writing.
- We also provide guidance and feedback to parents on their writing that is submitted in the applications.
- Together, we map out a detailed timeline so students stay organized and have sufficient time to prepare, review, and submit the highest quality applications.
Formal applicant interviews are typically reserved for students applying to grades 6-11. We will help your child practice thoughtful responses that reveal something about them and teach them how to highlight distinctive talents, interests, experiences, and goals.
We help you optimize your school visit plan to best fit your schedule. We explain expectations while touring the school, discuss dos and dont’s while on campus, and identify helpful questions to ask while on your visit.
We work with some of the best tutors, mentors, life coaches, teachers, and professors. We will place your child with the educational professional that best fits your expectations and child’s needs.